55 Gracechurch Street
55 Gracechurch Street is an office development in the City of London EC3.
Tenacity will create a 30-storey tower on the southern boundary of the City Cluster of the City of London. The building offers more than 34,000m2 of office, almost 2,500m2 of retail and more than 1,600m2 of the publicly accessible garden terrace and space for cultural programming.
The building will feature extensive green walls, green roofs and trees to reduce noise and air pollution while providing access to nature and biodiversity.
A free-to-access garden terrace, offering a suspended treetop walkway and panoramic views across London, will be made available to the public. An innovative ceiling system will harvest rainwater to simulate rainfall to irrigate the plants.
The scheme is entirely car-free, instead offering more than 500 cycle parking spaces and enhancing the pedestrian experience by widening pavements and reinstating historic and introducing new pedestrian routes at ground floor level.
The development will deliver:
- A highly sustainable workplace with floorplates for emerging City occupiers.
- Significant improvements in site permeability and pedestrian routes at ground level.
- A range of flexible and publicly accessible spaces at ground and first floor.
- A public garden terrace at level six offering new views over Central London.
- A building with the highest sustainability credentials and an extensive urban greening programme.
- An innovative and bespoke servicing strategy that embraces and supports the sustainable aspirations of the City and latest logistic technologies such as consolidation, cargo bike deliveries and overnight servicing.
- A shared-use space for the lift lids that can be used as valuable public realm during the daytime and for logistics movements overnight.
The existing prime office building is comprising c. 75,000 sq ft of offices arranged over 9 floors.
2021 January - City of London Corporation approves plans for the development ref. no. 20/00671/FULEIA.
2020 August - Planning application submitted for the demolition of all existing buildings and the erection of a new building comprising basement levels and ground floor plus 29 upper storeys (146mAOD) including office use (Class E), flexible retail use (Class E, drinking establishment (sui generis), hot food takeaway (sui generis)) a public viewing gallery and a garden terrace (sui generis), new pedestrian routes, cycle parking, servicing, refuse and plant areas, public realm improvements, and other works associated with the development. The proposal would provide 34,004m2 gea of Class E offices; 2486m2 gea flexible retail use (Class E, drinking establishment (sui generis), hot food takeaway (sui generis); 1573sq.m sui generis public viewing gallery and garden; total floorspace 38,063m2 gea; overall height 146.05m2 AOD. Developer: Tenacity; Architect: Fletcher Priest Architects. City of London ref. no. 20/00671/FULEIA.
2018 - Tenacity and its partners completed the acquisition in August 2018.
1992 - Building designed by Sheppard Robson Architects completes.
Site & Location
55 Gracechurch Street is located on the southern boundary of the Eastern City Cluster in the heart of the City of London.
News from the companies
Information on this page is for guidance only and remains subject to change. Buildington does not sell or let this property. For more information about this property please register your interest on the original website or get in touch with the Connected Companies.